“An engaging website to meet my customers and Google’s needs”
Posts Tagged ‘google’
orscene” src=”http://www.firstimpression.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/1755056_xmasvectorscene3-150×150.gif” alt=”" width=”150″ height=”150″ />
If you have a website that has never had much attention paid towards its Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) efforts and would like to have a go at improving how it ranks yourself, take a look at the following tips to get your started.
1) Create an xml sitemap – Submit it to Google Webmaster Tools, this will help to give Google an idea of the pages that make up your website and can help your site get indexed quicker.
2) Ensure that your website validates – Search engines like clean, valid code so be sure to validate it before you submit your site.
3) Generate high quality backlinks to your site – Search engines often use the number of backlinks that a website has as one of the most important factors for determining that website’s search engine ranking, popularity and importance.
There are several ways to gain backlinks to your website, these are usually time consuming but the rewards can be high if done right. However, the adage “Less is more” certainly rings true here as it is well documented that fewer high quality backlinks can have more weight than a larger amount of lesser quality links from smaller sites.
4) Check you alt tags – Before you launch your new website be sure to check your alt tags. Providing a human friendly/keyword rich description of an image in your alt tags can prove benefical towards your Search Engine Optimisation efforts.
5) Tweak your title tags for target keywords – If you want to improve your chances of ranking well for certain keywords, be sure to check the title tag of each key page on your website. Google gives a significant importance to the title tag of a website. Consider which terms you would like a page to be found for and include those terms in your title tag in a short, descriptive fashion. However, be careful not to stuff your title tag with too many keywords as this is the first line visitors will see in the search engine results so be wise and make your title tag human friendly. Read more on this topic >>
Google Instant Preview
Google have announced a new service that allows you to preview a website by hovering over the search results. This means people wont’ have to click to visit your site they can simply look at the preview and decide whether to visit your site or your competitors. Put yourself in your potential clients shoes – does your website pull people in?
Try google instant preview out for yourself – (Click on the magnifying glass icon next to the site title once then hover over the rest).